Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter of Request to Monash University Accident Research Centre

As you know, we require some data and information for our A-pillar project. To do this, I've devised a plan to write to Monash University Accident Research Centre requesting for data and assistance.

Cut short, I emailed the official letter in today via my dennis.cheang@gmail.com account to the MUARC team. To my surprise, MUARC responded very promptly. Dr. David Logan of the MUARC team responded with the following email.

Hi Dennis, Jasmit & Mikhail,

Our work at MUARC has always been focused on vehicle safety performance at a macro level.  The vehicle inspection component of our real-world crash investigation program, now running for almost 20 years, identifies 'failure of the A-pillar' (for example), but goes no deeper than this.  Our crash investigations have focused on identifying correlations between occupant injury and gross vehicle damage, as well as the contribution of driver behaviour and the road and roadside infrastructure in crash causation and outcomes.  We examine crashes at a system level to better understand how to prevent them or minimise their injury consequences.

We conducted some work for a vehicle manufacturer in the early 2000s, but this focused on the interaction between the occupant, the vehicle and its safety systems and would not have investigated any specific component in the detail you describe in your letter.

Your assignment sounds like a worthy design exercise.  Apologies for not being able to provide more assistance and very best wishes for your project!

Regards,

David.
I must say, MUARC is a very professional body and I'm highly honoured that they took notice of my letter and responded. I would like to thank the MUARC team again for their help and expert view on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment